CURRENT ARTIST IN RESIDENCE:DIANA KAMARA
Our current resident artist is Diana Kamara from Nafasi Art Space, Tanzania.
Her work revolves around painting, textile design and a touch of poetry. She also teaches fashion and textile design. Diana graduated from the University of Dar Es Salaam with a first class distinction in Fine and Performing Arts.
Here is what she had to say about her art practice and residency at Kuona Trust.
What drew you to become an artist?
- I was inspired to be an artist from a very early age then started working professionally from the year 2004, being mentored by Evarist Chikawe, a renowned Tanzanian artist.
In what ways have you benefited as a resident at Kuona?
- The interaction with the art community has boosted my creativity because of varied techniques of creation, concepts, ideas and areas of interest by the artists
Do you see a difference between Tanzanian and the Kenyan art scene?
- First, the commitment of an artist is to him/herself before the client
- Kuona is more of a home than a workplace in terms of how people are connected, you feel growth at Kuona.
- Artists in Kenya are updated of developments and events in the arts in Kenya and East Africa
Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
- I will be an established East African artist and an art scholar. As much as I want to be an artist, I also have a responsibility to the African nation for writing stories of contemporary African art