Artists at any point in their career, living anywhere in the world, and working in any medium are welcome to submit an application.
Gallery Owners are encouraged to submit applications for artists they represent and/or for a curated residency where the gallery chooses all of the residents (up to 3) for a certain period of time.
Curators are welcome to submit applications to curate a residency where they choose all of the resident artists (up to 3) with a particular show in mind. Also new in 2012, we will be accepting applications for curators to come to Nairobi for up to a two week period to meet Nairobi-based artists and tour museums, local studios and galleries.
Other Residencies are welcome to submit their artists to be a part of our residency. We are eager to work with other residency programs around the world.
How, The Application
All applications must be in a soft copy of the following :
- Artist CV
- Artist statement that provides background on your work as a whole. What inspires you? What you hope to evoke from your viewers? How your work has grown and changed.
- Specific project you propose for the residency. Please describe whether this is an extension of your current work or something completely new.
- The length of time requested for the residency, up to two months, and why.
- The month(s) you would prefer. Please let us know how flexible you are.
- At least 10 images of your work, CD is fine.
- Published books and/or press
- 3 Character references; written letters provided with the application. We’re looking for both references on your work, as well as, you as a person.
- An email with an image, artist statement and links to be used on the website if you are chosen.
If you are a gallery owner
- Please let us know if you would like to handle any sales of the artists’ work. We are not a gallery, therefore any work that is sold during or after the residency would be handled directly by the artist unless you tell us otherwise. We respect the relationships and agreements between artists and galleries and therefore want to be sure this is clarified up front. Please be aware that as part of the residency one piece from each artist that is completed during the residency will be selected to be included in the permanent collection of the residency. If you are a gallery owner please let us know if you:
- would like to host the artist talk and/or show at the end of the residency.
- have any relationships with local galleries or if there are local curators you would like to visit the residency while the artists you recommended are here.
Please provide what links you would like placed on the artist’s web page of The Residency’s website.
If you are an independent curator please:
- include a curator statement as to how and why you have chosen this group of artists.
- let us know if you would like to host the artist talk and/or show at the end of the residency as well as any agreements you have regarding the sale of any work. Please be aware that as part of the residency one piece from each artist that is completed during the residency will be selected to be included in the permanent collection of the residency.
If you are another artist’s residency please:
- let us know if you would entertain accepting applications from our artist and other ways we might be able to collaborate
- provide a link to be included on our partner’s page.
Where to send the application
Send all applications to ojay(at)kuonatrust.org